Alex is a member of our Senior Management Team, Head of our Private Client department. Qualifying as a solicitor in 2005 and a full member of STEP, Alex has a wealth of experience in assisting individuals, business owners and trustees with legal advice. Prior to joining Clark Willis in 2019, Alex was a senior Director and led a 10 strong Private Client team at a notable Yorkshire law firm.
Alex specialises in all areas of Private Client work including:
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Inheritance Tax planning
- Estate administration (Probate)
Alex supports HNW individuals, commercial and agricultural clients to structure their estates and assets to minimise the impact of Inheritance Tax and Residential Care costs to secure wealth for future generations. Alex frequently works alongside financial advisors and accountants to achieve the best outcomes for his clients who he advises both locally, nationally and internationally.
Alex strives to simplify often technical areas for his clients and prides himself on being a friendly and approachable solicitor for people often experiencing difficulties in their lives.
NOTABLE RECENT CASES
Alex has recently:
- Undertaken a multi million pound estate administration involving applications for business property and agricultural property reliefs for a niche family business.
- Assisted trustees to wind up a complex Will trust including a family farm following the death of a life tenant that included an application for the date of death value of the farmland to be agreed with HMRC post the sale to mitigate capital gains tax.
- Advised a family on structuring their estate where one of their children was a vulnerable adult.
- Provided advice on a Deed of Variation to a beneficiary of an estate to mitigate Inheritance tax for estate planning.
- STEP – Alex is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) which is a global professional association for practitioners who specialise in family inheritance and succession planning. STEP members help families plan for their futures, from drafting a will to advising on issues concerning international families, protection of the vulnerable, family businesses and philanthropic giving. Full STEP members, known as TEPs, are internationally recognised as experts in their field, with proven qualifications and experience.
- Solicitors for the Elderly (SFE) a specialist group of solicitors who are knowledgeable and able to support older and vulnerable clients with their legal advice.